Missing SQL in AWR/ASH February 23, 2010Posted by mwidlake in AWR, performance.
Tags: AWR, bug, data dictionary, performance
I’ve been working on some demonstrations of AWR/ASH within OEM for a client and I’ve come across a situation where you can be missing the SQL (and thus a lot of the useful information) for code run via DBMS_JOB or DBMS_SCHEDULER.
This is due to bugs 5928612.8 for DBMS_JOB and 5140631.8 for DBMS_SCHEDULER. If you can’t access metalink, then check out the end of this webpage. The SQL_ID/SQL_HASH_VALUE is not populated in V$SESSION for those jobs running under DBMS_JOB or DBMS_SCHEDULER. I am presuming from the fact that V$SESSION is not updated with these values, it is not available to V$ACTIVE_SESSION_HISTORY.
I did check that the SQL_ID was null in V$ACTIVE_SESSION_HISTORY for the records that connected to the USER_ID I was using, except for the handful of entries for when I was testing my code manually before running it via DBMS_JOB. The SQL_ID was captured fine for these interactive sessions (and the code executed was identical).
The bugs appear in 10.1.0.2 and both are fixed in 10.2.0.4 and 11. Both have patches available.
I am using 10.2.0.3
As soon as I mentioned my woes about not being able to see the SQL for code I was running via DBMS_JOB I knew of the existence of the bugs, as colleagues mentioned being aware of them as the patches have been applied to a couple of the other systems. However, I could find no trace of them on Metalink or Google.These bugs are listed as against v$session, not AWR or ASH, which is why I could not find them via searches for “missing sql awr” or missing sql ash” etc. So hopefully this posting will allow the connection to be made.
I find it very vexing when you know there is a fix for an oracle problem but you can’t find it in metalink (which seems even more true with the new, all-singing all-dancing all-fancy-graphics little help metalink). Sometimes it is because the bug number is not being made publically available and in other cases, such as this one, it is because no one has made the connection between the initial problem and other things it could impact. I guess it is asking a lot of Oracle Corp to do this for us and it would be unreasonable of us to hold it against them – But they are supposed to be a blooming data, information and knowledge expertise company! Tsch.
Notice that the top five jobs are via user MDW_2. I know that none of the top SQL on the left is from my workload (you will have to just take my work, but it is, in fact, all the “OEM/AWR code🙂 ). Also, the top code shown is heave on green for CPU, but you can see most of the workload in the Top Activity and the Top Sessions is blue, for User IO.
If I pick out the top session, 545, and click on it I get the below screen:
Note the entry for SQL_ID is blank and SQL Command is “UNKNOWN”. I can see what it is doing (db_file_scattered read and some CPU) but not what on or why.😦